The estimable Ed Blankenship posted a must read article for everyone using TFS 2010: Source Server and Symbol Server Support in TFS 2010. Bookmark that article because it’s the one stop shop for all the best practices for symbol server, source indexing, and everything related to them for VS and TFS 2010.
Once you get all the symbol server and source indexing hooked up as Ed describes, your life will be great except for one small problem. See this dialog below?
This is the Security Warning dialog that Visual Studio pops up every time it needs to run the version control command line tool the first time you need to access a file. The warning is reasonable but look closely at that dialog. Is there anything that lets you check something that says “don’t ask me again?” Nope! So after seeing this dialog over and over and over, you’ll be a little frustrated. Actually, you’ll be a lot frustrated. Probably frustrated enough to fly to Redmond and scream on Microsoft’s campus: “Make it stop!” Interestingly, WinDBG does have the check box on its security dialog so you can turn it off.
As my job is to save your frustrations, it’s actually very easy to turn off this dialog. You’ll have to create a text file to tell SYMSRV.DLL, which is the DLL doing your symbol server loading, that you trust the command. In <Visual Studio Install DirectoryCommon7IDE, create a text file called SRCSRV.INI and put the following into it:
<p style="line-height:13pt;background-color:#c6d9f1;margin:0in 0in 0pt" class="Code"><font face="Courier New"><font style="font-size:11pt" color="#000000">[trusted commands]</font></font></p> <p style="line-height:13pt;background-color:#c6d9f1;margin:0in 0in 0pt" class="Code"><font face="Courier New"><font style="font-size:11pt" color="#000000">tf.exe=<Visual Studio Install Directory>Common7IDEtf.exe</font></font></p> <p>That’s it! Now Visual Studio will trust TF.EXE and never show the Security Warning again.
We help companies make the most of Microsoft Azure.
We are a premier Microsoft Azure solutions provider managing public and private Azure clouds.
Collaborate with Experts
You gain the experience and successful track record of a top 5 Microsoft cloud partner.
You can count on a solution which delivers performance, scalability and reliability.
You will know that any security concerns were carefully addressed.
Collaborate with Experts
- Plan out your cloud strategy without having to commit all your applications to the public cloud: >> Hybrid Approach.
- Microsoft has the only viable hybrid strategy and expected to surpass AWS in market share by 2019.
- We specialize in engineering, deploying and operating the right solution for your business by combining public and private Azure.
- As one of the world’s five leading Microsoft Cloud Solution Providers (CSP), we help you identify the optimal environment to run each application including you database and storage.
- Count on us to maintain your databases and ensure optimal performance: >> Managed DBAaaS.
- Leverage ground-breaking performance and scale as you need it.
- Accelerate hybrid cloud scenarios using Azure.
- Benefit from a cloud with the most secure and least vulnerable database: >> Managed SQL Server.
- Migrate to a database with the fastest In-Memory technology.
- Deploy using Windows and Linux for any type of data and application.
- Ensure you are secure from design through deployment: >> Managed InfoSec.
- Eliminate concerns about exposing your data when using the public cloud.
- Define your objectives and build the right foundation using best practices and then execute it.
- Meet HIPAA/HITECH and PCI DSS compliance: >> Managed Compliance.
- You gain the peace of mind that comes from knowing we have planned out your cloud to the smallest details and then made sure it delivers on your needs.
Infographic on Azure and Running the Best Data Platform
Atmosera insures your business runs on the best data platform availableDOWNLOAD INFOGRAPHICS