IaaS (infrastructure as a service) and PaaS (platform as a service) are both useful when companies seek to streamline cloud services, online software, and apps. In this article, we’ll explain the key differences between IaaS and PaaS and when to choose one or the other.
Infrastructure as a Service
IaaS is designed to help businesses manage their cloud network better. This not only includes the network but also data storage and servers. The greatest benefit of IaaS is that it offers the company control of software and hardware. There are other pros as well; let’s look at several:
Pros of IaaS
- It’s cost-effective.
- Easily downsized when needed.
- Physical server isn’t needed.
- Complete infrastructure control.
- Apps run consistently.
- Offers flexibility and increased scalability.
- Built-in security services.
- Management of cloud resources is simplified and optimized.
- Secure storage for data, apps, and workloads.
- Build, test, and manage applications through data centers.
Platform as a Service
For custom-built applications, rely on platform as a service. Rather than delivering software, PaaS is a platform for developing online apps and software. It’s not as involved as IaaS; still, it’s the right choice when you want to develop apps without dealing with data serving, management, and storage. Let’s look at the benefits of PaaS.
- Allows for easy team collaboration.
- Sign-up is simple.
- Excellent flexibility and scalability.
- Code for easy customization and updates. No software upkeep.
PaaS is not without limitations. There are a few drawbacks, including:
- No control over the infrastructure behind the app.
- Not ideal for large enterprises.
- Data is stored with the PaaS company, which poses a risk for data.
- Customization is limited due to terms of service.
Keep these key differences between IaaS and PaaS in mind when choosing the service that’s right for your company. Consider the size of the company along with what you hope to accomplish using IaaS or PaaS when choosing what’s best for you.
At Atmosera, we offer Azure infrastructure solutions to meet your data storage and security needs. Our services are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. We take storage and security seriously. Contact us anytime for all your questions about IaaS and PaaS.